Tuesday, August 21, 2012

The Birth of Lewis Dan Lane IV

15 days ago I woke up in my Lofty, feeling great and ready for a normal day!  My hubby was headed off to work that morning, so I started on his breakfast, thinking of all the things I wanted to accomplish that day.  Danny had told me to take it easy, since the next day we were going to Centennial Park with some friends, so after he left for work I climbed back in bed for a little nap.  I was 28 weeks and 5 days along in my pregnancy.  I had just had a prenatal 8 days before and everything was looking great and right on schedule!
I had been having some back pains for a couple of days, but nothing to concern us.
Around 11:30 my parents called me! They were in Newnan and wanted to know if I would like to go out for some lunch. They came by and picked me up and we went to a cute little Hibachi Restaurant!
As the chef was cooking for us I started feeling nauseas and uncomfortable.  By the time our food was ready I couldn't eat.  I kept running to the bathroom, thinking I was going to throw up, but never did.  Finally we decided I should just go home and get some rest.  I was having a lot of back pains, but none of us realized I was in labor :)
After they dropped me off at my Loft the pains got so bad I couldn't sit or do anything!  I called Danny, but he was with a patient. So I called my parents and they came back.  By the time they got back my contractions were 2 minutes apart, and I'd finally figured out that they were indeed contractions!  I was so upset because I thought I'd have to go on bedrest for the rest of the pregnancy.  None of us really thought I was going to have the baby that day!LOL!
Daddy and Mama immediately took me down to Piedmont Newnan, just 10 minutes from my house, and they got me in a room.  Mama got in touch with Danny, and he was actually on his way to the hospital with a patient, so he came up about 15 minutes after we did. 
The rest of this all blurs together time wise, but I'll try and retell it as close as it was! After about an hour of contractions they started giving me Brethane to stop labor, then decided to do an ultra sound.  They said everything looked good, but they couldn't locate my cervix!  The Nurse decided to just check it by hand, and it was then she looked at me and said "You're going to have a baby today! You're completely dilated!"  I couldn't believe my ears, and kinda freaked out, telling Danny "No I wasn't going to have the baby!" I'm not sure how I thought I was going to stop it!LOL!

Danny just calmly reassured me that everything was going to be alright, and that the Lord was in control! I'm not sure what I would have done if he hadn't been there! It seems that after that the doctors and nurses all of a sudden appeared from nowhere!  They were all ready with their machines and what not, when Little Lewis made his entrance into this world at 4:35 pm, Monday August 6th!  I only got a quick look at him as they rushed him off, but the first thing I noticed about my little guy was all his beautiful black hair!!!  
They had him in the back for about 4 hours before I saw again, stabilizing and getting him ready to be transported. I got to look at him through his icelet right before they took him away. 
        


Even though neither Danny nor I had expected this, or have any idea why I went into labor so early, it's amazing how we can see the hand of the Lord throughout everything that happened! My parents being with me when i went into labor (I never would have known!)  Danny being on his way to the hospital, so he made the birth, Lewis having no complications or problems, me having no complications or problems, and so many other things! We are SO grateful for all the prayers for our little man and for us!  The Lord has been so gracious to our son and he is doing so much better then we'd ever expected!                                                         Lewis was born weighing 2 lbs. 14 oz, and 15.25 inches long! His weight dropped to 2lbs. 9 oz. a couple of days after his birth, but on his 2 week birthday he had gained back all his birth weight, plus 3 ounces, making him a whopping 3 lbs. 1 o!!!
Continued prayers for his growth and development are greatly appreciated!

Thank you for sharing in our joy and excitement as Danny and I enter the wonderful stage of parenthood!
Bethany
                                            


2 comments:

  1. He's beautiful, and you were blessed your parents were so close that day. The other signs of preterm labor is spotting/bleeding and Braxton hicks contractions, http://www.marchofdimes.com/pregnancy/pretermlabor_signs.html I'm very thankful it worked out as well as it has, but wish the midwife would have picked up on those symptoms the week before. It's hard being a first time mom and not knowing what to expect, or what your feeling if its normal or not but next time, you will be well armed with experience. Thanking God he goes before us, for we have nothing to fear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How precious Bethy! Made me want to cry! I am so thankful that everything happened the way it did...God truly knows what He is doing! I am so blessed to read this.
    Your such a sweet Momma and I can't wait till you and Danny get to take your little man home!
    I miss you my dear friend!
    Love me, Brittany

    ReplyDelete